#CrashMBD16 was quite the experience to say the least. It was packed with great networking experiences, excellent speakers and invaluable knowledge.
- Crash Sessions
- We were the inaugural crashers of the MBD council conference led by our fearless leader James Marshall of Filene Research institute. Along with attending the conference, crashers get the opportunity to meet and network with some of the top leaders in our industry, and get additional “crash” sessions that with special guest speakers. These were some of my favorite sessions because we get to have intimate thought-provoking conversations with a few of the speakers that hosted their own breakout sessions, the executive council and some were previous crashers at other events. Leadership, Technology and the Cooperative Principles were just a few of the topics that we tackled as we listened, learned and exchanged our own individual experiences from our own credit unions. The crash experience puts things in perspective since we were all from different states at credit unions of different sizes, it exposes us to a bigger picture of the common challenges we can face and more importantly it allowed us use cooperation to come up with potential ideas and solutions that other might be implementing that we could bring back to our own institutions.
Crashers at the Diamond Awards
- Keynote Speakers
- Johnny “Cupcakes” Earl
- Johnny had a great presentation about building your personal brand. His was specifically a T-Shirt company with storefronts disguised as cupcake shops. He did this in an attempt to really stand out in a saturated market and needless to say it was a huge success for him. Financial institutions all have the same products for the most part, so how can credit unions stand out. One of the best things we can do is have our members become Brand Ambassadors to inspire Brand Loyalty. We do this by giving our members new experiences and positive memories that people want to share with the world. Johnny was able to grow his brand virally by the word of mouth of his customers that had unique experiences when they came into his store and I believe that we can do the same thing with credit unions.
- Johnny “Cupcakes” Earl
Johnny Earl with Crashers
- Scott Stratten
- Scott is the President of Unmarketing. A terrific speaker who uses wit and humor to get his point across to get people to “stop marketing and start engaging.” He refers to this as authentic marketing. We need to realize that we are able to connect to people easier than ever thanks to social media. Social media isn’t just a way to communicate to the mass audience but rather a way to reach people individually. Every interaction moves the pivot point of the member experience either up or down, positively or negatively. Stability is not the goal, continuous change is the goal. Credit Unions have an advantage because we serve our community; we know our community and we need to position ourselves to be our community’s first choice when they have a need.
Scott Stratten presenting Scott Stratten with crashers
- Overall Takeaways (From myself and fellow crashers)
- No matter how big or small we can make a difference and an impact!
- Be coachable, you don’t know everything.
- When building the brand be compassionate and genuine. Give members a sense of ownership of THEIR brand.
- Tap into your network to help brainstorm ideas and get different perspectives.
- Be transformational no transactional.
- A hand written note can go a long way.
- Stay humble, stay hungry.
- Give people a memory.